Mole Shrimp Quesadilla
Recipe from “Discover a World of Flavor with the Exceptional Cranberry” at a Private Reception at Ocean Spray’s Cranberry Bog Exhibit at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival on September 27, 2013
|¼ cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
|1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 lime, juiced
6 large flour tortillas
3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Combine chili, cocoa, salt, peppers, cinnamon and allspice, mixing well. Pat dry shrimp and toss into seasoning. Let shrimp marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp into hot skillet and cook until shrimp are opaque and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir jalapeno pepper and lime juice into shrimp mixture. Cool shrimp off in refrigerator before assembling quesadillas.
- To make quesadillas place half cup of cheese into each tortilla followed by the cooked mole shrimp. Fold the tortilla shell in half creating a semi circle.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and place the quesadilla, slowly browning and melting the cheese.
- Cut into portions and serve immediately.