Some foods are unique to Disney but you can recreate a little Disney magic in your own kitchen. It’s a great way to ward off the post-Disney World vacation depression. It’s also fun to prepare Disney recipes leading up to a much anticipated trip!
Tonga Toast is served at Kona Café and Capt. Cook’s at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. Filled with bananas and topped with cinnamon sugar, it’s a sweet start to your day!
Tonga Toast Recipe
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Tonga Toast Ingredients:
1 quart canola oil, for frying
1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
2 large bananas, peeled
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
1. Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
For Tonga toast:
1. Preheat oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn.)
2. Slice the bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
3. Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
4. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
5. Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully into hot oil.
6. Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Disney
Try some Tonga Toast this weekend for breakfast!
Written by Sheri Morris, “Main Street Morris” Sheri is proud grandmother with a keen eye for detail. She specializes in Disney Travel for adults and RV travel. Book your next vacation with Sheri at 804 405 5005 or at email@example.com.